Wednesday 6 November 2013

Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope - 3/11/13

  Saturday was a relaxing and uneventful day.  Some of us had planned to go hiking at a nearby hill in the morning, but each independently decided that catching up on sleep was more important. Nearly everyone went to the beach in the afternoon, and six of us left early to go to Mass, since we had big plans for Sunday.

Cape Peninsula
South Africa

Our advisor treated us on Sunday to a trip to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope.  It is not the southern-most tip of Africa, nor is it where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet.  However, the Cape of Good Hope is significant because it was discovered by the Portuguese explorer Bartolomeu Dias, who sailed around it on his way to the Far East.








We took buses down along the eastern side of the peninsula.  We stopped at Boulders Beach near Simon’s Town because it is a great place to see penguins.  It did not disappoint.








Penguins!!


The day actually turned out to be more of a safari than we had anticipated.  We had been warned that baboons might cross the road more commonly than deer do in America.  Sure enough, we had a baboon sighting before long.  Driving along the coast, we also caught sight of some dolphins (not sharks as some people thought), in addition to some wild ostrich that also crossed our path.


        

 



We arrived at the travel centre for Cape Point around noon, and were given four hours to explore.  While there, a member of our group learned firsthand how stealthy baboons can be when it comes to food, particularly a bag of chips (someone somewhere has pictures, sorry I couldn’t get any of this humorous encounter).  From there, it was a half hour’s hike to the lighthouse at the top of Cape Point. 


Cape Point, South Africa
Lighthouse at Cape Point











The view at the top was truly breathtaking.  I remember as child, standing at a beach in Maine and imagining I could see Africa from across the Atlantic Ocean.  It was a strange feeling to be standing on the other side looking out (albeit probably in the wrong direction) thousands of miles from my childhood, watching waves crash on the African beach.  Waves which have not graced the shore of my home in probably millions if not billions of years. 


View from Cape Point
Top of Cape Point


From Cape Point, it was a longer walk along the cliff to the Cape of Good Hope.  The view from Good Hope was equally impressive.  The waves crashed violently against the rocks, as the wind ripped at us standing at the top of the ledge.  I think my friend Zach said it best when he said, “It’s times like this I’m sure this was no accident – when I’m sure of the Creator’s existence.” Mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your Name.


"Mountains bow down..."
View from Cape of Good Hope
View of Cape Point from Good Hope
Cape of Good Hope


Dias Beach
We made the hike to Good Hope and back to the parking lot in under two hours, including a stop at Dias Beach about halfway in between. 











The gift shop had a lot of cool stuff, and I made great progress on my Christmas shopping there.  After a long day, we rode the buses this time up the western side of the peninsula.  We stopped only once to capture pictures of a particularly striking view.  I swear I did not take this from a desktop background.



That pretty much wraps up the weekend.  From our hiking I took over 300 pictures, which I have neatly saved on my laptop for anyone who wants to read the equivalent of a 300,000 word essay.  I’m sorry it’s been a few days since I’ve updated this – my team and I have to write a 20 page business plan for the WaSH facility by Friday, which kind of takes precedence over these reflections.  More details on that to come at some point.  Until then, Impilo! (Cheers/Good Health)

No comments:

Post a Comment