Monday 25 November 2013

Missing Fire 21/11 - 22/11

So on Thursday at midnight the major motion picture “Catching Fire”  (sequel to “The Hunger Games”) came out.  A group of people pre-ordered tickets Wednesday night to see it. I had added myself to the list of people to get tickets and paid my R50 ($5 for a movie ticket!), but I was really tired that night and was working on my CAD designs for our project.  I figured I could go another time, and $5 isn’t a huge loss.

Cape Town Stadium
Friday night most of us went to see a soccer game.  The Cape Town Stadium was built a few years ago for the FIFA World Cup, and is one of 8 used during the tournament.  It is also viewable and within walking distance from the lodge.  It is a beautiful stadium, though it was built to accommodate thousands of fans. It was a little sad seeing a majority of empty seats in the stadium, though I suppose for the teams playing, it was not a terrible turnout.  According to the soccer players in our group, neither team played particularly well.  The home team we were supposed to be rooting for lost 3–1. 




We left the game at 22:00 (10:00 pm), and six of us impulsively decided to try to see the 10:15 showing of “Catching Fire.”  We arrived just as it was starting only to find that it was sold out, which honestly is not surprising for a Friday night on the debut weekend.  Some of the girls tried to buy tickets to a different movie and sneak in, but movie theatres here do this thing where you reserve a specific seat, like in an actual theatre.  Because of that, I doubted it would work and didn’t try it.  I was correct – they came back a few minutes later with tickets to a movie they didn’t want to see.  I think some of them ended up seeing it on Saturday night, but I had other plans (stay tuned for my next post!).  It would have been kind of cool to see the premiere 7 hours ahead of my friends in the States. However, I can see the movie any time when I’m home, but you only Cape Town once.




1 comment:

  1. I saw Catching Fire on Friday night and really liked it! I won't spoil it, but it's a solid representation of the book. Some of the previews were weird though... there was one about Frankenstein's monster fighting gargoyle statues. Mary Shelley must be rolling over in her grave.

    Glad to hear that things are progressing so well with your project!! Since it's almost Thanksgiving break here, I imagine you must be going on that safari soon - can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete